Meeting new people and making friends has proved interesting here in Dubai. I have discovered that Dubai is a melting pot for people from every part of the world. On Sunday night I went to a small group with Amy, JP and Ana. Amy picked us all up and we even picked up a couple girls that we met from South Carolina. We went to the group and it, unintentionally, became bring a friend night! The majority of the people there, were there for the first time. We went around the circle and each person told the group their name, where they were from and how many times they had come to group. Out of the almost 20 people there, 6 were from the States. 4 of the 6 were from Texas!! Representing! Some of the other places represented included: Australia, Egypt, Jordan, Kenya, Nigeria, UK, Ireland, South Africa, and Belgium! It's been so fun meeting people from all places and hear about where they are from and the different cultures. I definitely have been in a bubble in Texas. I also feel like my life is boring compared to some of the stories I have heard here. Several people I have talked to have backpacked through Europe, one girl did it by herself. One girl lived in a kibbutz in Israel. A kibbutz is a sort of commune where people work and live off the land. Several other people know two or three different languages, and many people here have done lots and lots of traveling. It makes me feel like I haven't done anything with my life. I've always wanted to travel, but being here has made me want to do it even more! It's also been good to hear about different cultures. It's opened my eyes up to how other people live. (Not everybody lives like we do in Dallas, Texas!) I've also had the opportunity to talk to several people about family and friends. The stories that I have heard have really made me sad. Stories of how they don't talk to people in their family or when they do they just argue and fight all the time. Stories of friends that give really horrible advice or who are just not very supportive or encouraging. Also the majority of the people I have talked with did not grow up in a Christian home. I take my family for granted, for sure. I have an incredible family that loves me and cares for me. They all support and encourage me. We all get along and really and truly enjoy being around each other. We are so close that my sisters are my best friends. I know I can go to anyboby in my family with anything and they will support and encourage me, they will listen and give me advice in a loving way. I can say all the same things about my friends. Of course, it's not always perfect, we have our moments just like any other family. But I would say at least 95% of the time we enjoy each other. I have been blessed with the family and friends that I have. Being here and away from them and then hearing from people here about their families, has made me miss my family even more than I have been. So this goes out to my family! I miss you and love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment